Spruce Street School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or use of trained dog guide or service animal by a person with disability.
Application Process: Steps to take
Sign up for a Tour
In-person tours are held on Thursday mornings by appointment only. In-person tours are limited to ten individuals per tour. Tours begin with a walk of our building and conclude with a Q+A with our leadership and faculty. To sign up for a tour, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attend an Open House
We are offering two in person open houses. The open houses will be held December 3, 2022 from 10:00am-12:00pm and January 7, 2023 from 10:00am-12:00pm.
Please note: we ask that all applicant families attend an open house or in-person tour as part of the application process. Families can choose either event (or both!).
Grade-level applicants are required submit all student records. Records can be sent electronically or uploaded onto the SAO.
If you have questions or would like more information:
Tuition for the 2022-2023 school year is $30,080.00. Tuition includes all school day activities and before school care. Tuition for the next school year is usually set in January by the Board of Trustees.
Spruce Street School is committed to socioeconomic diversity, and approximately 30% of our students receive financial aid every year. Toward its goal to be as affordable and accessible as possible, the school is currently undergoing a capital campaign to build a financial reserve dedicated to financial aid. Learn more about financial aid at Spruce Street School.
A Typical Financial Year at Spruce Street School:
- Tuition: expect a 4-8% increase in tuition each year of your child’s attendance; financial aid is available.
- Annual Fund gift: gifts range from $5-$15,000 or more, and should be a meaningful gift for each family. The average gift is about $1,200 per child.
- Auction: all families participate in the auction in multiple ways such as volunteering, attending, procuring a live auction item or hosting a buy-in party.
- Capital Campaign: the school is currently undergoing a capital campaign to build a reserve fund for financial aid; families have the opportunity to support this effort.
- Childcare: after-school care is available. Costs range depending upon amount of time required, starting with a minimal drop-in fee and ending with full-time care (about $2,700 for the year). Students who receive financial aid for tuition also receive financial aid for extended day.
- Other costs at your discretion: Scholastic books, classroom gifts
Spruce Street School is committed to socioeconomic diversity. To that end, the board of trustees has set a goal to be the highest quality, most financially accessible K-5 independent school of its kind in the Seattle area. The school strives to admit all children who would thrive in its educational program and community, regardless of their families' ability to pay, and to maintain a student body reflecting a broad social and economic mix. Approximately 30% of our students receive financial aid every year.
A family's contribution is based on need, and the school uses Clarity to help determine financial need.
All families are asked to contribute financially to their child's education in a meaningful way. Intended as a supplement to family resources, financial aid awards are made not only to families whose ability to pay school costs is extremely limited, but also to those who may need only minor subsidy to meet the tuition requirements.
These scenarios demonstrate potential awards for families with more than one child and different annual incomes. These examples are estimates and are not intended to be actual offers.
Families can choose to pay for tuition in one payment, three payments or ten payments. There are no penalties for paying over time.
Tuition covers all educational costs for the school year, including field trips, overnight camping trips, before school care, books and supplies.
After school care is not included in the cost of tuition. Students who receive financial aid for tuition also receive financial aid for extended day.
The school has an annual fund and auction every year. Families are expected to support both in meaningful ways.
- Spruce Street School will be working with Clarity (https://auth.clarityapp.com/en/signup/) and applications will open in September.
- One form per family or per separated/divorced spouse is required.
- 2021 and 2022 tax returns and W-2 forms will be required to apply.
- You may write a cover letter explaining any additional financial circumstances the committee should consider.
- Submit completed application by February 2, 2023.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees, May 2019
Philosophy and Objectives
Spruce Street School’s Financial Aid Program has a two-fold purpose: to strive to provide mission-appropriate students an opportunity for a high-quality education which might otherwise be unobtainable for them and to strive to provide to the school a student body reflecting a broad social and economic mix. We believe that all children regardless of their family’s ability to pay full tuition should be considered for admissions and the Board dedicates specific funds in each year’s budget to support this belief.
Funding Private School Education
Spruce Street School recognizes that the primary responsibility for financing a student’s independent school education rests with his or her family. All families are asked to contribute financially to their child’s education in a meaningful way. Intended as a supplement to family resources, Financial Aid awards are made not only to families whose ability to pay school costs is extremely limited, but also to those of somewhat more substantial means who may need only minor subsidy to meet our tuition requirements. Financial Aid at Spruce Street School is awarded based on a family’s demonstrated financial need. In no case would a student who does not qualify be awarded aid, nor would a student ever be awarded aid in excess of her or his computed need.
Financial Aid Manual: Please read Spruce Street School's entire Financial Aid Policy .